The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 introduced security standards protecting the health information of individuals. The HITECH Act requires periodic audits performed by the Office of Civil Rights (OCR), to ensure covered entities and business associates are meeting HIPAA compliance requirements. While necessary to protect the safety of patient information, these regulations make it difficult for providers to keep up with current information, maintain appropriate policies and ensure that all employees are informed and following proper procedures.
Did You Know:
- All health care providers are a required to perform a privacy and security risk analysis.
- A certified EHR does not mean you fulfill the privacy and security Meaningful Use requirement.
- Relying solely on your EHR vendor for privacy and security is a dangerous practice.
- A simple checklist will not suffice for a risk analysis.
- Privacy and security provisions effect more than just your EHR system.
- Conducting a risk analysis only a single time will not make a practice HIPAA compliant.
- Your practice could be audited for HIPAA compliance and those penalties can be reach $50,000 for each violation and up to a total of $1.5 million for all violations in a single calendar year.
NeKY RHIO offers one-on-one assistance meeting HIPAA regulations through:
- Comprehensive Security Risk Assessment (SRA) – We make our SRA process easy to complete and understand. You will be guided through the entire process by our Security Team members.
- Risk Mitigation – Once a SRA is completed, our team will provide a detailed closeout report that details not only the findings, but ways to mitigate the risks identified. Taking it one step further, our team will walk you through and provide technical assistance to ensure your clinic is HIPAA compliance.
- Online HIPAA Trainings – Developed in house, our HIPAA trainings are comprehensive for employees in a healthcare setting. Rather than a once-a-year training, each employee has their own learning space to complete modules at their pace with a two-month timeframe. New modules are posted every two months and completion reports are provided to administration.
- Policy Development – Often one of the most daunting tasks is to develop policies for compliance. Our beginner policy packet will provide you foundation to build upon, specific to your practice. Our Policy Analyst will guide you through the entire process of developing your policies.
- Additional tailored technical assistance as identified
Contact NeKY RHIO to discuss how our services can help your organization reach HIPAA compliance! 1-855-385-2089 or email@example.com.